Intrepid botches

charlie derr cderr at simons-rock.edu
Tue Nov 11 20:03:28 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>>     Well somewhere I read about ways to limit a user's space on a
>>> computer years ago maybe it was Windows?
>>>

>> Linux uses quota which is neither installed nor configured by default
>> under Ubuntu.
>>
>> Is it mentioned in your /etc/fstab?
>>

>     To late to check. Right now I am installing Hardy with the Alternate
> CD. Thought I would NEVER get past the Manual partition part :-)

<unsolicited advice>

Whenever I've had the opportunity (new computer, fresh HD, fixit job for a friend, etc...) I always used to thrash the hell out of the
installation media.  What I mean is that when there's no risk (because there's no data to lose), I've often taken the opportunity to start
the install several dozen times.  Mostly I don't even bother following through on the actual "install" (until the last time) but choose to
with figuring this stuff out, write some notes for yourself (and don't lose them).  Someday when you're trying to recover from a HD
failure/corruption you may find those notes you wrote for yourself quite helpful.

</unsolicited advice>

>     But now it looks like the CD is about done and I can see if the
> Desktop is good...

	good luck,
		~c