apt-get update

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Tue Nov 11 18:07:16 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it returns an error
>
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper
> Release.gpg 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54>
> 80] Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper Release Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages Ign
> http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper/restricted Packages Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages 404 Not found
> [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80] Err
> http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper/restricted Packages 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54
> <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
>
> can someone help me with this
>

> don

You are trying to online upgrade a Dapper system directly to Hardy?

First there's the issue of such a big jump in releases being a bad
idea. You're bypassing E, F & G. Is that even doable?

Second, to do an online upgrade you must be pointing to the correct
repositories. Your system is still looking for the Dapper archives,
which have been retired for sometime.

Putting aside the issue of jumping all the way from Dapper to Hardy
(which I'd be wary of doing even if it can be executed), you need to
open up (as root) /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all occurrences
of "dapper" with "hardy". Use your favourite editor:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Or alternatively use sed, if you're comfortable with it:

sudo sed -i "s/dapper/hardy/" /etc/apt/sources.list

Either way you go, back up your sources.list before changing it. Once
done you can:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Personally I wouldn't make such a huge rev level jump, but if you're
going to attempt it that's the mechanics of what you need to do.
NP: nothing