Sony Camcorder on Ubuntu

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Nov 11 16:22:10 UTC 2008

Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Sony Camcorder with Small DVD as storage. How Can I see recorded
> movies on my
> desktop running Ubuntu. I tried both Mplayer and other movie player, but it
> seems that they
> don't understand the Sony DVD format. Any idea ?
>
> csv

This won't help your current situation, but for future ref.

When you blank the disc on the camcorder, you should have the choice of
formatting to allow edits or standard DVD format.  Choose the standard
DVD format.  That way, you can simply make a copy of the DVD to work on
any standard DVD player.  (and you can still extract the videos if you
then want to put them through video editing software on PC's)

Also, make sure you finalize the disc before removing from your camera.

As for your current dvd, try mounting the disc so you can see the file
system and see if mplayer can play any of the actual video files
contained therein, they should work.  Unfortunately, I don't remember
enough about the disc format to tell you what file names to look for.