Linux as a virtual machine on Windows

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Tue Nov 11 02:27:09 UTC 2008

Hi!

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>

>> But then it may be free nevertheless according to what
>> Derek posted. Probably it would be best to ask Sun in case of a
>> commercial application.
>>

> Certainly I agree with that.  I sure can't figure it out myself :-)

The FAQ is clear on this :

6. *What exactly do you mean by /personal use/ and /academic use/ in
     the Personal Use and Evaluation License
     <http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL>?*

   Personal use is when you install the product on one or more PCs
   yourself and you make use of it (or even your friend, sister and
   grandmother). It doesn't matter whether you just use it for fun or
   run your multi-million euro business with it. Also, if you install
   it on your work PC at some large company, this is still personal
   use. However, if you are an administrator and want to deploy it to
   the 500 desktops in your company, this would no longer qualify as
   /personal use/. Well, you could ask each of your 500 employees to
   install VirtualBox but don't you think we deserve some money in this
   case? We'd even assist you with any issue you might have.

   Use at academic institutions such as schools, colleges and
   universities by both teachers and students is covered. So in
   addition to the personal use which is always permitted, academic
   institutions may also choose to roll out the software in an
   automated way to make it available to its students and personnel.

Gilles.
(I work for Sun - Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com)