Intrepid botches

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 10 23:25:07 UTC 2008

On 11/10/2008 03:04 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> Download the maint & service manual & then look at 'Setup Utility':
>>
>> <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3804159&>
>>

>     Yes I have had the service manual from before buying the lap-top. As
> I said there is very little BIOS setup features.

To start the Setup Utility:
 Open the Setup Utility by turning on or restarting the computer. While
the “Press the ESC key for
Startup Menu” message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the
screen, press f10.
– or –
1. Open the Setup Utility by turning on or restarting the computer.
While the “Press the ESC key for
Startup Menu” message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the
screen, press esc.
2. When the Startup Menu is displayed, press f10.

I would think that it certainly _must_ have something more than just
setting the date & time. But I don't have one, so maybe you're right.

System Configuration menu
Select To do this
Language Support Change the Setup Utility language.
Button Sound (select models only) Enable/disable the capacitive button
tapping sound.
Virtualization Technology Enable/disable the processor Virtualization
Technology.
Processor C4 State (select models only) Enable/disable the processor C4
sleep state.
LAN Power Saving (select models only) Enable/disable LAN Power Saving.
When enabled, saves power when
the computer is in DC mode.
Card Reader/1394 Power Saving (select models
only)
Enable/disable Card Reader/1394 Power Saving. When enabled, saves
power when the computer is in DC mode.
Fan Always On Enabled/disable Fan Always On. When enabled, the computer
fan will
always be on.
Boot Options Set the following boot options:
● f9 and f10 Delay (sec.)―Set the delay for the f9 and f10 functions
of the Setup Utility in intervals of 5 seconds each (0, 5, 10, 15, 20).
● CD-ROM boot―Enable/disable boot from CD-ROM.
● Floppy boot―Enable/disable boot from diskette.
● Internal Network Adapter boot―Enable/disable boot from Internal
Network Adapter.
● Boot Order―Set the boot order for:
◦ USB Floppy
◦ Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
◦ Hard drive
◦ USB Diskette on Key
◦ USB Hard drive
◦ Network adapter

Either way, you might download the alternate cd & install hardy as
previously suggested:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/