Intrepid botches

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Nov 10 22:02:04 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/10/2008 12:11 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>     On this new Compaq Presario CQ50-139WM which I purchased last
>> Saturday, I found that the LiveCD for Intrepid was the only one that
>> worked. I did all the partition changes and loaded Intrepid and am not
>> happy with it.
>>
>>     The LiveCD for Hardy stops with a busybox and the error which reads:
>>
>>     udevd-event[1538] Run-program '/sbin/modprobe abnormal exit
>>
>>     I want to change to Hardy on this lap-top because it is a fully
>> complete system that I am now using on this computer. I prefer that the
>> lap-top and this computer are the same thing. Saves a lot of problems.
>>
>>     If you know how I can load Hardy I would like to know how.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> These might help:
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2Binstall+%2B%22%2Fsbin%2Fmodprobe+abnormal+exit%22>

> [Unable to install: " '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit" at boottime]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/231226
> [ /sbin/modprobe abnormal exit hardy - a little odd, but might work]
>
> Were I you, I'd install from the Alternate CD (desktop version), and
> disconnect from the internet before you do. (Leave your BIOS LAN
> settings the way they are to see if it will work that way first, if not
> turn them off, install, then turn them back on). That way you will only
> install from the CD; when it comes to trying to configure DHCP, just
> follow the prompts to tell it that you don't want to configure now &
> only install from the CD. With any luck you'll be able to install
> completely, then configure your ethernet.
>
> This post says that it's been traced to the ethernet adaptor on a
> particular MB:
> <http://georgia.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?s=4d5fe4dc511c9294a80b8043f6b8bb08&p=5970998#post5970998>
> You might google around & check launchpad further to see if you can find
> details.

    Thank you and I can say with certain that the Intrepid LiveCD is a
big improvement over the Hardy one. I have Intrepid loaded and updated
on the lap-top with all Intel everything. It seems to work but I have
ruined the sound. Not sure what to do about that.

    Also the lap-top has no BIOS setup screens. Very strange to me.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User