Problem with Ubuntu and router

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Nov 10 16:03:12 UTC 2008

Scott wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> What kind of error messages are you getting?
> I have been receiving no error messages.  When I am dealing with PHP
> scripts I get a PHP script download on the browser.
>
>> Are you able to get any
>> web pages at all?
> The download is fine and I am able to get all webpages to display.  I
> just can't do anything that requires anything more than a couple KB of
> upload.  I can't post to forums, I can't use PHPmyAdmin, and the like.
> I went to speedtest.net and got normal upload (3 Mbs), but got 0 Upload.

Well, getting webpages requires an HTTP GET, in effect an 'upload' of sorts.

>> Have you tried a different browser?
> Not recently, but when I had this problem in the past I have used
> Firefox, Opera, and Konqueror.  All had the same problem.
>
>> What ftp client
>> do you use?
> I tried both Nautilus and Gftp.
>
>> What are your network settings WITH the router in the
>> middle and without?
> I mostly left the router to factory default except that I enabled the
> wireless with WPA and set up my ISP using PPPoe.

Wow, that's kinda nuts.  with the router in the middle, what kinda of
traceroutes are you seeing to places like google?  To me, this sounds
like a bad wireless driver perhaps.  Can you shut down WPA briefly and
try uploading again?

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support