Will 8.04 work on a Dell server?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Nov 10 14:50:12 UTC 2008

Sarunas Burdulis wrote:

> Damien Hull wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out if Ubuntu 8.04 will work on a new Dell server. We haven't ordered anything yet.
>>
>> 1. Will 8.04 work with the PERC RAID controller?
>> 2. Are there any other driver issues with Dell servers / hardware ?
>
> We have 8.04 working well on:
>
> PowerEdge 1900, 3ware 9650SE RAID controller added here;
> PowerEdge 2970, LSI/Symbios MegaRAID SAS 1078 ("PERC").
>
> All hardware was recognized "out of the box", using driver modules
> already in standard Linux kernel from Ubuntu.

I'd be careful dealing with Dell and Linux.  I've found that 'identical
2970s' (for example) have a rev change in the PERC hardware that bomb
the megaraid driver that ships with the kernel.  This has actually
happened to me twice in the last year.

Just FYI.

Otherwise, everything else works pretty well on them. I run linux on
over a dozen Dell boxes, everything from Fedora to SLES, RHEL, Gentoo,
and Ubuntu without any trouble (minus the note above.)

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support