Linux as a virtual machine on Windows

Robert Hodgins ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Sun Nov 9 17:19:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 11:46 -0500, Bruce Corbin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been assigned the task of writing the following OS installation
> procedures:
>
> 1&2) Linux only (Ubuntu & Fedora 6)
> 3) Win XP only
> 4&5) dual boot (XP/Ubuntu &XP/Fedora 6)
> 6&7) Linux (Ubuntu & Fedora 6) emulating Windows (Wine?)
> 8&9) Windows with Linux running as a Virtual Machine.
>

> I'm not actually a computer guy.  I don't play one on TV.  I didn't even
> stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  But, I am the one that takes
> the "useless" old and slow Windows boxes and makes very useful Linux
> based test equipment out of them.  Thus, I got the task.
>
> I have never actually installed Fedora, but I assume that between
> tutorials and my Debian/Ubuntu experience I can probably figure it out.
> Previous (failed) attempts to install RPMs on boxes set up by someone
> else have made me a big fan of Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> I have done XP installs and dual boot Ubuntu installs.  Any links to
> good tutorials would be appreciated since I haven't done it in over a
> year, but I don't have much doubt that I, with a little Googling, can do
> a dual boot in two or three tries.
>
> I have never attempted to use or install Wine.  I can Google it and
> probably muddle through it.  Any suggestions, links, tales of problems,
> etc would be appreciated.  Is Wine my only choice?  Is it the best choice?
>
> The last item is where I am really hoping for some help.  Over the years
> I have heard "virtual machine" so many  times that I have no doubt that
> I can Google up a year or two of reading.  I don't have a year or two to
> devote to it.  Any suggestions on packages to use to run Linux as a
> virtual machine on Windows XP?  A few years ago I attempted something
> like this after a segment by Leo Leporte on "The Screen Savers".  I got
> nowhere and I spent several hours doing it.  Also, are there any big
> issues/differences when trying to set one box up for Ubuntu on XP and
> another box for Fedora 6 on XP?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Check this site out: http://www.howtoforge.com/

Search for "falko timme". His "Perfect Desktop" series is quite useful
for installations.

A search for "wine" at howtoforge turns up many articles that might be
useful to you. Another option is Crossover (at www.codeweavers.com.)

Still with howtoforge, a search for virtualbox gave this link (among
others): http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualbox_ubuntu

Good luck!