No sound with VLC Media Player

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Nov 9 09:18:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 03:03 -0500, Mark wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell 1525 inspiron laptop and I am using
> VLC Media Player to play DVD's but I  have no sound whatsoever.

Didn't it work recently? I thought it did.

      * Sound in other applications works?
      * Please press Alt+F2, enter gstreamer-properties. What does it
        list as defauls sound output? If you click Test, does it work?
      * Start vlc, go to menu Tools -> Preferences. Click Audio in the
        pane on the left. What does it list as Output Type. "Default"?
      * Use your favorite package manager (such as Synaptic) to check
        whether you have the package "vlc-plugin-pulse" installed.