ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 LTS how to make items on screen smaller?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Nov 9 06:07:38 UTC 2008

ubuntu-users:

I have a fresh ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 Linux Terminal Server.  I
edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf to match my server monitor and have set the
screen resolution to 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz.  I am now trying to figure out
how to make the various items on the server screen smaller, so that I
can see more information.  At some point, I will need to repeat this
exercise for the clients.

STFW, it looks like changing the dots per inch (DPI) setting is the
answer via a Control Panel (?) application, but I can't find such.  I've
used Applications -> Add/Remove to install Applications -> System Tools
-> System Settings, but that doesn't seem to do the job.

Right-clicking on the desktop (similar to XP) doesn't seem to provide a
solution either.

Searching the mailing list archive only gives bits and pieces of answers.

What is the preferred method for changing the size of items on the
screen?  Where is this documented?

TIA,

David