Mail announce in Thunderbird (Ubuntu 8.04)

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sun Nov 9 02:57:42 UTC 2008

I use a .wav file for my mail download announcement, so I'm sure you can
use one. I just checked in preferences in Thunderbird, and it will
*only* let me choose .wav files, so I don't know why yours won't let you.

Try just typing the path and filename of the .wav file in the Location
box of the file selection dialog that occurs after you select Browse
from the main settings dialog. You may have to first click the icon in
the top left corner of the file selection dialog to see the Location
box. [the icon looks like a sheet of paper]

Later, Ray Parrish

tux wrote:
> I would have a .wav announcent sound in Thunderbird. The default setting
> of using system sound does not make a sound. I have tried to select a
> sound but Thunderbird does not see any wave files even though they are
> where it is looking. How do I get Thunderbird to see the .wav files or
> set a system sound for new mail?

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows