Problem with domain name server in intrepid

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetil1001 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 16:25:23 UTC 2008

I just upgraded to intrepid, and there nis one problem:
I cannot set the dns from the gui, AND once set, the dns is forgotten
and has to be set anew
each time rebooting. Thsi is what I do to set dns:
1) open a terminal window:
2)
kjetil at familien:~$ cd /etc
kjetil at familien:/etc$ ls -l resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2008-11-06 17:29 resolv.conf ->
/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
kjetil at familien:/etc$ cd /etc/resolvconf/run
kjetil at familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$ sudo pico resolv.conf
sudo: unable to resolve host familien
[sudo] password for kjetil:

In pico i write the line "nameserver 146.83.126.8"
and then writes out and exit

kjetil at familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
sudo: unable to resolve host familien
 * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
                                  [ OK ]
kjetil at familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$

Now internet works !

There must be a better way??

kjetil
(absolutely nothing I do from the gui works)

--
"Perhaps there is no such thing as unilateral power. After all, the
man 'in power' depends on receiving information all the time from