Inquiry

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sat Nov 8 14:44:46 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
> drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create a
> file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that.  Then
> you can boot into either without trouble.

On a sidenote:

While I understand Wubi as a rather riskfree way to explore Linux, I
never recommend Wubi or vmware/vbox installations to newcomers.

Imho these msolutions either depend on the power of the underlying
windows or are nice but slow through emulation.

Both are nice and fine for a professional using needing Linux for
occassionally looking at it.
In contrast, I think a serious newcomer has got the right to see Linux
at it's best. Imho this can only happen via installing Linux natively on
the disk(s)

>> Also, I have a lot of files on my computer, am I going to
>>> have to back them up to DVD before installing the above mentioned OS
>> YES!!! However this is not Linux specific.
>
> YES!  Any time you are doing a major install - particularly an Operating
> System - you should have backups.  (I know you said that, but it can't be
> stressed enough).

Also if you are not doing major installs, you should have backups,
anytime because users make mistakes and hardware fails.

Kind regards
Eberhard