PEBKAC 2008 ;) [was: Re: Stupid Ubuntu 8.10]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Nov 8 10:03:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 04:42 -0500, vafa at aol.com.au wrote:
> If I copy (sudo cp -r dirname) a directory to a root directory (where
> TeX is installed), then I can not use it in ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Any idea how to resolve this problem?

It would help if you could describe what you are trying to achieve,
ultimately.

Other questions I have would be:
What does "can not use [the directory] in Ubuntu 8.10" mean? How do you
"use" a directory?
What is "a" root directory. There is exactly one root directory, "/".
(Except if you count the root user's home directory, /root)
Why is it significant that TeX is installed in the root directory?