Audio doesn't play while playing a DVD

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Nov 8 00:55:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 16:36 -0800, Jonathan D. Armendariz wrote:
> Ermmmm I don't think I'm seeing what you're describing. To get there I
> click applications, sound & video then Movie Player. Hope that helps a
> little better.

Oh, I see, I missed the "Movie Player" in "Movie Player (Xine)".  So,
what your are saying is that you use the totem-xine player, as opposed
to the default, totem-gstreamer?

I had thought you were saying "I use xine, the movie player".

First of all, may I ask why? Except for (some?) rm files and some (rare)
wmv files, totem-gstreamer works flawlessly for me. For the rm and weird
wmv files I can always use straight xine.

But whatever, nevertheless: totem-xine, by using the xine backend,
relies on xine being configured correctly. And in Ubuntu 8.10 that means
that it must use pulseaudio  (if you have that enabled, which is the
default) because it will not get access to the sound device (which
pulseaudio likely has locked).

I had thought that you would have to edit the
file /home/<username>/.config/totem/xine_config to enable pulseaudio,
but I just tried that and it worked by default.
I thought that this would be the case because I had to reconfigure my
xine player (straight xine, that is) for pulseaudio. But then my config
file comes from pre-pulseaudio days. A newly installed totem-xine works
out of the box for me.

So, sorry, no idea then