Ubuntu and default Gnome backgrounds

Bo Grimes boslists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 12:07:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:52:50AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Bo Grimes wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:08:39AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >> Each release of GNOME comes with some default backgrounds. Why are they
> >> not included in Ubuntu?
> >>
> >> Is there any easy way to get those backgrounds in Ubuntu 8.10?
> >
> > Not sure about 8.10, but it'll hardly hurt to try typing sudo apt-get
> > install gnome-backgrounds and find out.
>

> Yes, the package gnome-backgrounds is the answer. I wonder why it wasn't
> made to be installed by default.

Space maybe?  Many distros used to use the kitchen sink approach.  I
remember an early SuSe I used (pre-DVD days) that came with 7 CDs.  I think,
especially with live CDs and broadband, the approach is more minimal than it
used to be.

Anyway, glad you got them.  I was rushing out the door, and re-reading my
reply it sounded a little curt.  I am still using 8.04 (with Linux Mint
icing on top), so I didn't know if the backgrounds were in the 8.10 repos,
but since it wasn't like alsa or somthing I didn't figured it'd hurt to try.

I had recently gone searching for them myself.