Inquiry

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Nov 7 09:39:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 21:59 -0600, Rev. Jason Jay White wrote:
> I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and
> upgrade my desktop computer from Window XP to Linux OS.  I went to the
> website and it tells me to download an iso called ubuntu and make a
> bootable CD from the iso.  I read the information on the website,
> however, I have not been able to find anything that mentions the Linux
> OS.

In addition to what others have said:
If you use the Desktop CD iso file to burn the CD, you can start your
computer from this CD without installing anything. It will run
completely from CD and change not a thing on your computer. If you don't
like it, you can simply shutdown, remove the CD and be back to normal.
Just note that running from CD is just a demo mode and will be much
slower than an installed system

You might want to read this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/
Especially https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/index.html