Lost Documents and Photos and desktop files and folders

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Nov 7 09:26:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:37 -0800, Roger Benham wrote:
> I would that 8.10 had been handled as an update and not as an install.
> Surely that is what an .iso does?

An iso is just a CD image copied to a file. I will do whatever the CD is
designed to do

> Was there really an option to just update? I missed it if there was. I
> missed it updating a laptop as well.

You can update online via the update manager application.

You can also update by using a CD, but
      * It needs to be the Alternate CD with the textmode installer and
        not the live CD
      * You must put the CD into the drive while Ubuntu is running. Then
        you will be prompted to update. This does not work if you reboot
        with the CD in, then it will be a reinstall

That's all in the release notes and update instructions linked from
there.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading