When stability is pointless

Koh Choon Lin free2sg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:25:24 UTC 2008

>> > Are package managers necessary? Well, no.
>>
>> What????  We need this to keep consistency, ...
>>
>> > One way of managing software
>> > is simply to install individual software programs/libraries as needed,
>> > and allow each item to handle its own updating or uninstallation (or
>> > even just leave that to the user to do manually).
>>
>> Within stable Debian and security updates and volatile, this is supported.
>
> If the OP would like to do things manually, I invite him to try
> Slackware as there is no default package manager (or a very minimal one
> that will install and remove packages but not much more).  Packages are
> little changed from their upstream release and if there are conflicts
> between packages, well the system administrator gets to figure that
> out.
>
>> I do not know what you mean by "manually", though.
>
> See Slackware.  ;-)

It seems to me the cleanest form of manual package management is still
the old DOS style. All the files of a single program lies in one
directory and to uninstall the program would just involve a simple
removal of the directory.

If I recall correctly a few years ago, there exist a distro that was
produced entirely for this kind of pkg philosophy.

--
In Liberty
Koh Choon Lin