wireless access lost, cant reconnect

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 00:41:19 UTC 2008

20081106 1833 GMT-5

Last night we had some serious storms come through. I turned off my pc
and laptop and went to bed. Apparently right after I went to bed my
wifes laptop lost wireless connection as did my sons wireless pc.

This morning I discovered the problem of there being no wireless when I
went to print.

I couldnt find my network. I thought maybe the wireless part of my modem
went crazy. I took it in and got another. I had the same problems. I
took it back and got another and still the same problem.

My modem is a SBG900. Its never given me any trouble until now. I have
the ESSID on, I have security off, and Im not filtering mac's right now
either. But running my WinXP laptop with Netstumbler, it can ONLY seee
channel 1, 6, 8 of networks in the area and not my channel 11. So I
changed channel. I went to 7. Ok, I can see that but none of my wireless
computers can access it.

On my laptop, I have 8.04 installed. I had a netgear wg511v2 card
working just fine in it. I have ndiswrapper installed - selected the XP
driver from the CD and the card seems to be working. But it cant see the
network either.

I spent a lot of time on with tech support today but they know less than
I do about things so they were no help.

Im stumped as to what to try next.

My pc is wired to the modem. I can connect the laptop via cable but its
difficult for it to get connected.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675