strange sound problem in Hardy

Pierre Frenkiel pierre.frenkiel at laposte.net
Thu Nov 6 19:12:24 UTC 2008

hi everybody,
I have 2 sound cards: integrated Intel and Soundblaster Live
Since 2 weeks, I have a very strange behaviour of the Soundblaster Live

    - after each reboot, the sound is perfectly normal.
    - after 1 or 2 hours, it becomes crazy: when I play a short sound (1 second),
      with aplay, it is echoed about 20 times, and I get :

         Playing WAVE '/sound/wav/woow.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
         aplay: pcm_write:1266: write error: Input/output error

      with mplayer, it is  echoed 8 times
      with play(sox), it is  echoed indefinitely, and I must issue a "kill -9"
      idem with totem, gxine, kaffeine
      with vlc (ALSA audio output), the sound is normal!

      With a longer sound, the 10 first seconds are normal, and then it
      becomes garbled (with all players)

    - if I use the Intel card, the sound is OK in all cases.

I'm ready to install Intrepid, but before, I would like to elucidate
this mystery.

NB: I saw some bug reports about the pcm_write error message, but what
      puzzles me is that I only get it a variable time after reboot!

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel