Is there text-to-speech and speech recognition for Ubuntu 8.10?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Nov 5 22:10:23 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 12:38, Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Ulf Rompe <Ulf.Rompe at icem.com> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 11:14 +0100 schrieb Ulf Rompe:
> >> You might try to run it with padsp as a wrapper to make it use
> >> PulseAudio.
> >
> > ...while the package alsa-oss contains a similar wrapper for plain Alsa
> > called aoss.
> >
> > [x] ulf
> > --
>
> How do you do that?
> Thanks,
> --
> Douglas E Knapp

Hi Doug. I use aoss on one of my installs where I listen to Internet radio
with Opera. The desktop launcher starts Opera with aoss opera, and I'm now
listening to Internet radio. If I also want to listen to some music, which
may be said isn't easy while listening to the radio, I start Mhwaveedit, open
a file, and both play at the same time.

I've just tried this on GG 7.10. I've started playing a music file with
Mhwaveedit, then on the CLI typed aoss espeak "Hello, Hows it going"

And someones asked me how it's going.

This is on a machine with an hda intel card. A card not capable of running
multiple audio streams, but aoss works around the problem.

Nigel.