So.. what do you see in the ink-blot experiment that is the new Intrepid background?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 5 18:45:20 UTC 2008

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>  said:
>> 2008/11/4 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibex
>> >

>> Yes, that is why I choose to use the word goat. In my language goat,
>> ibex, and sheep are all part of the Tzon family (just like ducks,
>> geese, and heron are all of the Fowl family). I am surprised that
>> there is no word for it in English.

Of course there is!  You're entirely right that they're goats (Genus Capra).
However, strictly ducks geese and heron aren't of the Fowl _family_.
They're all birds (class = Aves), but the Fowl are an Order (larger than a
Family) called "gallinaceous birds" (chickens!), ducks and geese
are "anseriformes" (goose-like, "Waterfowl") and herons
are "Ciconiiformes" - more closely related to Eagles and Hawks than Geese.

> I think the word you look for is ruminants.

At the "Family" level, they're Bovines (Bovidae).  Spending way too much
time around biologists (and particularly taxonomists) I'm handy with
http://www.itis.gov/.  Unfortunately, that means I'm _not_ sure just where
ruminants fit in.
--
derek