Do I need to worry about viruses and defragmentation?

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 18:29:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:30 -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
>>> Yes, I like to refer to those 'properties' as "The Average Windows
>>> User".
>>> :)
>>
>> That, too. But also the fact that programs can be executed without the
>> admin setting the execute permission,
>
> Just like GNU/Linux?  Try tarring up a file with a+x permissions.  When
> you untar it (on another computer), it will still have execute
> permissions.  The real issue is users running as root by default.  They
> did finally address this (albeit with horrible user interaction design)
> in Vista.

Micro$oft's excuse is that UAC (User Account Control) was supposed to
be annoying to Users in order to motivate software developers to write
better software.

Yeah, that's logic for you.  Make users mad at the operating system to
make software developers write better code.  Idiots!

The reason for a majority of Vista's compatibility issues with
software from XP is due in part to how they handle security and also
the DRM.  One of my monitors won't work on my laptop because the DRM
thinks I'm trying to copy stuff since it can't identify it.  The
laptop has modern hardware yet is slow as dirt, even fully restored to
factory settings.  Micro$oft really screwed up with Vista.  If Windows
7 is anything like Vista they are done, finished, kaput, out of the OS
business because they've had 10 years to get this right and they
messed up twice.

That's assuming Windows 7 is a piece of crap.  We shall see but I
wouldn't hold my breath.  As long as Steve Balmer is at the helm of
that company he bound to screw something up.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home