Help! Much doesn't work:(

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 01:27:07 UTC 2008

No solutions here, just sympathy.

Patrick Horgan said the following on 11/02/2008 06:44 PM:
> I'm on 8.10 and I have a lot of problems.  My sound quit working when I
> upgraded.  My sessions quit working when I upgraded, i.e. I have to log
> into everything over again after logging back in.
> System/Preferences/Sessions/Options/Remember Currently Running
> Application has no effect.  I've done all the sound debugging, tried
> everything anyone ever recommended for pulseaudio or alsa.  Everything's
> set up right, nothing's muted, the right drivers for my hardware, (the
> same one's as before the upgrade), are installed and in memory, all the
> volumes are up, but no sound.

I had to switch to OSS to get any sound on gnome, but alsa works on kde???

>     Before upgrading, and it's the reason I upgraded hoping that things
> would get better, Openoffice had not worked for several weeks, seg
> faulting in an openoffice library, but oddly enough  Apport, even though
> it does report other things, doesn't notice the seg fault, I have to be
> in gdb to see it.  Filing a bug report on it just got them to tell me it
> was an invalid report because it didn't come via apport.  The stuff in
> ~/.openoffice.org2 isn't set up correctly, (I can see it in strace,
> failing in access just before the seg-fault), but deleting it and
> letting it try to set up again doesn't help. Deleting openoffice and
> reinstalling doesn't help.
>     Also, before upgrading all of my removable stuff quit working, i.e.
> plugging in a CDROM, DVD, usb flash drive, or SD flash never results in
> automatic mounting, although I can manually mount.  Pushing the button
> on the cd/dvd to eject quit working at the same time, although I can
> eject from the command line.
>     I'm on a Dell inspiron 1420.
>
> Patrick

You're not alone.  I did a reinstall after encountering a bunch of
problems.  After 1 day, the reinstall was no better than the upgrade.
Right now, I'm back on hardy.1 until 8.10 gets some more bug fixes.

I even had suspend and hibernate working well for 1 day, but now neither
works.

regards,