wifi card

Shams Fantar sethurf at free.fr
Tue Nov 4 19:15:58 UTC 2008

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Shams Fantar <sethurf at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my laptop, I try to set up the wifi card.
>>
>> If I configure the wifi directly in /etc/network/interfaces, no problem :
>>
>> auto wlan0
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>> wireless-key XXXXXXXX
>> wireless-essid linksys
>>
>> Well, good thing, but I would like to use any software for the wifi. I
>> don't want to do that manually. Because, with this way to do, I have to
>> do everything in command line to be connected to any wifi network.
>>
>> So, I found some graphic softwares to do that. Like wicd, I get "no
>> wireless networks found". I tried other graphic softwares, same thing.
>> What to do ? Because my wifi card is recognized by Ubuntu, anyway.
>>
>> Thanks and see you.
>>

> I'm curious, has support for Atheros wifi adapters been addressed yet
> or not?  Ubuntu 7.10 detected the card and drivers appeared in the
> Hardware Drivers Manager but even with them enabled it still wouldn't
> work under Network Manager.  I have an Acer Aspire 4520 which uses an
> Atheros wifi adapter with, ewww, a Broadcom chip.  Atheros recommends
> the MadWiFi drivers which are a part of Ubuntu Restricted Extras, but
> they didn't help.  I read that the new Kernel is supposed to address
> wifi compatibility problems with Atheros adapters so I'm wondering if
> anyone has an Acer laptop and got wifi working.  Anyone?

Hey, why do you post on my topic ? Make a new topic please. Because we
don't have the same hardware. My laptop is a Toshiba.

For my problem, strangly, with the lspci command, I don't see my wifi
card, just the ethernet card.

My wifi always works if I do the connection mannualy by
/etc/network/interfaces...

Any ideas?