New Intrepid upgrade killed all my sound

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Nov 4 16:19:20 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 00:59, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr>  said:
>
> Sorry for the late reply.  Life, you know..
>
> > It may be worth temporarily disabling
> > it with an apt-get remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio,
>
> Sadly, that is not found in my repositories.  Is there a special one I
> should enable?  I have Main, Universe, Restricted and Multiverse and
> third party repo http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu intrepid partner.

No. No special repo. I don't have Intrepid yet, but thought that the Ubuntu
version had Pulseaudio installed as default, and the usual means to disable
it, is to simply remove the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package. Have you checked
in synaptic to see if the package is there?

> > which will mean
> > that your sound apps now access Alsa directly. I'm presuming that
> > Intrepid has Pulseaudio installed as default.
> >
> > Can you post a bit of output from the following, just to see if the
> > card is detected, etc.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
>
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xfebfc000 irq 16
>
> > cat /proc/asound/version
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.17.
>
> > lspci -v  (just the bit for the soundcard)
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 01) Flags: bus master, fast devsel,
> latency 0, IRQ 16 Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=16K] Capabilities: <access denied>
>  Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>  Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> > lsmod | grep snd
>
> snd_hda_intel         381488  3
> snd_pcm_oss            46848  0
> snd_mixer_oss          22784  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                83204  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_dummy          10884  0
> snd_seq_oss            38528  0
> snd_seq_midi           14336  0
> snd_rawmidi            29824  1 snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event     15232  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                57776  6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_timer              29960  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq snd_seq_device
> 15116  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
> snd                    63268  15
> snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd
>_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device soundcore              15328  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc         16136  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
>
> > Nigel.
>
> Thanks for your offer to  help.  If I get this figured out I then have
> to get sound scoped out for Elder Daughter's newly upgraded Hardy Heron.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

All the above output seems fine. Have you opened alsamixer in a terminal, and
checked for items that may be muted, or sliders set to zero. The "M" key
toggles the mute/unmute.

If you upgraded from HH to Intrepid, you should still have the Hardy kernel
available. Have you tried booting using that?

Nigel.