What is the purpose of the gnome-settings-daemon process?

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue Nov 4 12:18:10 UTC 2008

Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner at gmx.net> wrote:

> What is the purpose of the gnome-settings-daemon process? Would it not
> be enough to have configuration files for GNOME? Thus saving many
> resources. Why is there necessary a daemon?

Using a daemon it's much easier to share settings between different
applications or multiple instances of the same application. Without a
daemon it's a nightmare to coordinate multiple programs if each of
them needs to read and write the same files (which is why you can't
run e.g. multiple Firefox instances using the same profile).

It can help you saving resources in some cases by reducing disk I/O
and parsing time.

> Why is it necessary to use a daemon to share settings from GNOME to
> GTK+ or KDE applications, as I have read?

If an application uses gconf for its settings it needs gconf to run.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>