How do I make Thunderbird my default email program

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Nov 4 07:25:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 23:36 -0500, Mark wrote:
> I would like to know how to set Thunderbird as my default email
> program instead of evolution. Thank you.
>

> I am using a dell inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04.

On your top panel: menu System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications.
Switch "Mail Reader" to Custom Applications. Then enter as the
command: /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird %s

At least this should work in principle. According to this forum thread,
however, there might be some issues with this:

I don't user TB, maybe someone with TB experience can help?