What's the difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu?

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 04:07:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Mark <markfpyles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have a odd question. What is the difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu? I
> am running Ubuntu 8.04 and wanted to know if maybe I should change to
> Xubuntu? Thanks.

Xubuntu is Ubuntu with the xfce desktop installed instead of the gnome
desktop, which is the default in ubuntu.

That being said, you don't have to install xubuntu if you already have
ubuntu, or another *ubuntu either, you can just install the relevant
desktop package. If you want to experiment, you can do

$ sudo aptitude install xfce4-desktop

and try it out.