VGA out at wrong resolution, was working yesterday

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at
Mon Nov 3 14:34:33 UTC 2008

On a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the ATI video card and Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE
3.5.10) the VGA output was working fine until a reboot today. I did
update the system via apt-get yesterday, so that may have affected
something. This is my xorg.conf file (minus comments at the top):
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
       Driver          "kbd"
       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
       Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
       Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "CorePointer"

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
       Driver          "synaptics"
       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
       Option          "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
       Option          "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
       Option          "HorizEdgeScroll"       "0"

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
       Driver          "fglrx"
       Option          "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
       Option          "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"

Section "Screen"
       Identifier      "Default Screen"
       Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
       Device          "Configured Video Device"
       Defaultdepth    24
       Option          "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier      "Default Layout"
 screen "Default Screen"
       Inputdevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
Section "Module"
       Load            "glx"

The file is completely stock with the exception of Option
"MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP" which I added to enable VGA-out when I first
got the external monitor. Until today it had successfully output
1680x1050 (which is the native resolution of both the laptop's screen
and the external monitor) but now I am getting 1680x1050 on the
laptop's screen, yet 1440x900 at the VGA-out (both at the same time).
The VGA-out screen pans with the mouse to account for the differences
in resolution (not the entire desktop is visible at any given moment).

Note: this message was accidentally posted to ubuntu-devel by
accident. Please excuse the cross post.

Dotan Cohen