How to stop a cron job sending email

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Mon Nov 3 07:08:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 08:33:30PM +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> Even though asynchronously killing fetchmail doesn't seem to have
> resulted in the loss of partially transferred emails, it remains an
> unnecessary potential hazard, I suspect. The additional supression of
> error messages is not a particularly positive attribute either, as
> others have commented.
>
> Though the precise aspect of the slow network connection which is being
> worked around is not crystal clear, is there any help in the following?
>
> a) To make fetchmail wait 10 minutes between fetches, to ensure the
>    previous transfer is complete, add to .fetchmailrc:
>
>    set daemon 600

I do run fetchmail as daemon.  I was under the impression that the
process runs as user 'root' and I don't want to do that.

> b) Alternatively, enable fetchmail's IDLE mode, which causes transfer to
>    occur on server notification, rather than regular polls. (man
>    fetchmail) This works only with IMAP (which you're using ISTR), and

I will have to investigate this.  More than one user is involved.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the
      fruit of the womb is his reward."        Psalms 127:3