dpkg: error while apt-get upgrade

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 2 20:58:25 UTC 2008

On 11/01/2008 01:18 AM, dave selby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was about to do an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, I did an update and it
> failed. I dropped to the command line and this is what I am getting.
[snip]

>  /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic_2.6.24-21.43_i386.deb
> dave at main-system:~$
>
> I want to fix this before I do an upgrade to 8.10 since it might cause
> problems. Any idea how I fix this ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Give these a try:

sudo apt-get update
[note: look for errors & if so, fix your sources.list)
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f check
[note: it's always a good idea to open gedit also so that you can copy &
paste the output of commands like these when trying to troublshoot. You
can then save to compare etc]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You may have to do the above a couple of times if you get errors.

I'd also recommend that you _consider_ running 'apt-get clean'. But
before you do, understand what it does, & also ensure that you have a
solid network connection in order to redownload any necessary packages:

$ man apt-get

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files.
It removes everything but the lock file from
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When
APT is used as a dselect(8) method, clean is run automatically.
Those who do not use dselect will likely want to run apt-get clean
from time to time to free up disk space.