Resolution Problems Still

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Nov 2 12:11:28 UTC 2008

Michael Haney wrote:
> Ok, this is REALLY getting old.  I need help, real help, please
> someone!  I'm trying out Ubuntu 8.10, I have an Nvidia Geforce 5600FX
> AGP 8x card and a Sun Microsystems 21-inch VGA monitor.  After
> installing Intrepid my display resolution is limited to 800x600.
> After installing the Nvidia drivers my display resolution is locked at
> 640x480 which makes Ubuntu unusable.  I want to change that so I can
> goto 1024x768.  I need real help that works.
>
> This is my xorg.conf file as it is now ...
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
> 	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
> 	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
> 	Device		"Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I've tried the suggestions which appear on this webpage ...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions
>
> Nothing I do seems to make any different, I've changed the xorg.conf
> file but my settings are just ignored.  I'm at my wits end, this is
> really making me very mad ... again.  Why, oh why did they take out
> the ability to manually change your monitor settings in the display
> resolution window.  They even removed displayconfig-gtk and you can't
> install it from the repos either.  This is a problem that's been going
> unresolved for way too long and it need a fix that works now.

    You can get as mad as you care to. I am disappointed that 8.10 does
not support many of the NVIDIA versions. But I have done all that you
can do and it will not work. So stay with Hardy and this list and some
day the guys who fix things will figure out how to fix this .

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User