[SOLVED] Cannot mount volume (USB Flash drive)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Nov 1 15:19:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:13:29PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> > In gconf-editor:
> >
> >     /system/storage/default_options/vfat
> >

> Thank you for this follow up.. I've never experienced this problem, but
> it bugged me that could never find where this configuration was stored..
> when this problem was first reported, I spent lots of time combing
> through the HAL configuration files trying it find how the default
> filesystem mounting options fit together.. Figures I was in the wrong
> place entirely.

I did the same thing.  I spent a few hours reading the wrong docs --
everything I was reading said gnome-volume-manager was handling the
mounting by calling pmount. But, it didn't make sense as I could not
find how the options would be passed (and where they would come from).
Finally came across a note about gnome-mount.

$ strings /usr/bin/gnome-mount | grep /bin/
/bin/umount
/bin/mount

$ strings /usr/bin/gnome-mount | grep /system/
/system/storage/volumes/%s
/system/storage/drives/%s
/system/storage/drives/%s/mount_point
/system/storage/drives/%s/mount_options
/system/storage/drives/%s/fstype_override
/system/storage/volumes/%s/mount_point
/system/storage/volumes/%s/mount_options
/system/storage/volumes/%s/fstype_override
/system/storage/default_options/%s/fstype_override
/system/storage/default_options/%s/mount_options

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt