Lost Admin ability

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Sat May 31 20:37:17 UTC 2008

David B. Toth wrote:
> I upgraded my dual-boot HP laptop to 8.04 and seem to have lost the
> ability to do some admin things, like Synaptic, Update mgr, and other
> things related to packages ...
> It never asks me for my admin password, the system seems to ruminate
> for a while, and then it goes on like I didn't click anything ...
>
> sudo still workls as in    sudo gedit filename     but that's about
> it ....  this was an upgrade from 7.10 .... and this is with the
> newer kernel (old kernel and recovery kernel act the same).
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I had the same thing happen with the latest kernel and was only able to
fix it my clearing the APT cache and forcing a redownload and reinstall
of update manager and synaptic as root at the command line.

I was planning on upgrading my AMD box from the i386 to the AMD64 o/s
anyway so after doing all that I went ahead.  Meaning I don't know if
subsequently it wouldn't break again.  YMMV.
NP: Oz vs Windies internet test match cricket feed