Fwd: Simplest way of setting a share folder

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat May 31 18:53:24 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: Simplest way of setting a share folder
To: Rick0009 at gmail.com

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Rick <rick0009 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 17:25 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Rick <rick0009 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > Computer A: Notebook ( wireless )
>> > Computer B: Desktop  ( wired )
>> >
>> > Want a Share Folder on the Notebook,
>> > Where on my desktop top there is that share folder,
>> > where I can drop items into it, and it would copy them
>> > to the notebook.
>> >
>> > Then when switching back to the notebook, the item, would
>> > be in that folder.
>>
>> Lots of ways of doing that Richard.
>>
>> First off - what OS's are we talking about...
>> Secondly - are the wired and wireless networks on the same subnet?
>> Are there firewalls and/or routers between them?
>>            (if you don't know, post the output of ifconfig from both)
>>                (if you aren't sure how to get the output of ifconfig,
>> let us know and we'll come at it a different way)
>> Brian
>
> First, both on ubuntu 8.04
> on the same network
>
> one a laptop ( wireless )
> the other a desktop unit ( wired )
>
> Yes, there is one wireless/wired router, that it, then out the door
> to broadband modem

OK
On the notebook - create the folder you want to 'push' to.
Right click on that folder and choose Sharing Options.
  If you don't have sharing options,  open Synaptic and use it to
install 'samba' and 'nautilus-share' or open a terminal and type sudo
aptitude update && sudo aptitude install samba nautilus-share

YOU HAVE TO LOG OUT THEN BACK IN BEFORE NAUTILUS SHARE WILL WORK.   It
doesn't tell you that.  A reboot is not required.

The options in Sharing are pretty straight forward.

Now on your desktop go to Places -> Network,  open Windows Network -> MSHOME

Your Laptop should show up here.

Open that, then select your shared folder and hit Control-D to add
that folder to your  places list permanently.

HTH
Brian

Footnotes - this uses Windows networking.  Thus,
1 - Changes may take a couple of minutes to propagate.
2 - Other Windows and Mac users can see that file share - think about
that when you take your notebook out in public
3 - It does represent a small possible security risk whenever you turn
file sharing on.  Use  at least a good personal password.

If higher security was required, you would be better off using ssh.
Unfortunately that would be a real pain unless you set your router to
hand out the same IP address every time you connect.

You could also use NFS (pretty insecure, hard to firewall) or
netatalk/Appletalk (really only benaficial when used with Macs), sftp,
a WebDAV share or a lots of other more obscure options :-)