problem with nvidia geforce2 mx200

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat May 31 16:10:21 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 08:58 -0700, David Fox wrote:
> According to dpkg, I see just 169.12 files installed. No traces
> (according to dpkg) exist for the prior driver. Why would it still
> think I was using the old driver? Did I forget something????

Possibly. There is this remark at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia :

"Old Installs Conflicting
If either of nvidia-glx-legacy/nvidia-glx-new are installed a dotfile is
created in /lib/linux-restricted-modules/ . Even after these packages
are uninstalled the dotfile will remain and may frustrate efforts to use
the nvidia-glx package. See this [WWW] launchpad bug about the hidden
file not being removed when nvidia-glx-new is uninstalled (also applies
if nvidia-legacy is removed) for details."