ip address on lan getting hijacked

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 31 02:16:53 UTC 2008

On 05/30/2008 05:59 PM, Raghu Vadapalli wrote:
> this is what I did with my home setup. on my wireless router set the start
> address to be 1+ of the static ip address poool. let's say your static
> ipaddress pool is from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.15 and use 192.168.1.16 as
> your DHCP pool start address.

I tend to keep mine off of 192.168.1.x. However, I only have 'wired' so
not sure about 'wireless' settings. I generally set the nets to
something like:

192.168.0.1 = dsl modem
192.168.2.1 = router
192.168.2.100-110 = fixed ip's
subnet 255.255.255.0
192.168.2.120-130 = DHCP pool
client lease = 0 (1 day)

DSL modem is set to bridge mode so that it doesn't mess with my dhcp & I
let the router (Linksys/Cisco BEFVP41) do all of the dhcp work. In the
past, I found that the network supplied dhcp from the modem kept messing
up my VPN's, so I set the modem to bridge mode several years ago &
haven't had problems since.

When I add another net, I just use 192.168.3.x, and another 192.168.4.x
etc., and use the same addressing scheme. That way when I create VPN
between the nets, I know that the tunnel from 192.168.2.x is talking to
192.168.3.x etc., and if there is a failure, or the VPN is dropped I can
easily tell from the logs which side the problem came from.