ip address on lan getting hijacked

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Sat May 31 01:23:17 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
| On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 16:11 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
|> chris dunn wrote:
|>> My home lan is set up based upon a Linksys wireless access point and
router
|>> which has an address of 192.168.1.1.
|>     OK the router has a old standard 192.168.1.x ip.
|>
|>>  My main work station is set with a
|>> static ip address of 192.168.1.2, (in /etc/network/interfaces) and I
use
|>> other work stations to access this machine via nxclient and nxserver
(running
|>> on 192.168.1.2).
|>>

|>     In other words you set the work station with a static ip of
|> 192.168.1.2 and it works. From a router I always use DHCP so the router
|> just gives me the next ip/
|>> All works well until 9.30 a.m. every morning when 192.168.1.2 is
taken down
|>> and reset to 192.168.1.100, apparently by dhclient accessing the
dhcp server
|>> running on the wap.
|>     Your wireless part of the router is causing the problem.
|>
|>>  Any nxclient connections crash as the nxserver ip address
|>> has changed.
|>>
|>> Syslog provides the following messages :
|>>
|>> May 30 09:30:04 bessie dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of <null address>
|>> Tia.
|>>

|>     To fix this put your work station not on static but DHCP and relax.
|> It will change but who cares?
|>
|> Karl
|

| Hi Karl,
| Your suggestion isn't accurate ...
| ... the OP clearly wants to have static IP adresses,
| so your hint is nonsense !!!
|
| You may go as you like and be happy !!  ;-)
| Myself too I always prefer static IP's in my setups ! ;-D
|
| Cheers, svobi

I agree, static IPs are pretty much necessary for anyone who uses apache
on any box or several.  say here, I have 3 webcams I use for home
monitoring  (teenagers, gotta love em) every box has a static IP that
has a cam on it , apache listens on different port for each box.  The
router directs to a certain LAN IP depending on what port (cam) I choose
to view. I also have a webserver on yet a different box with a static
IP.  DHCP would wreak havoc on my setup.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com