Old Toshiba laptop not seeing all the screen under 8.04

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Fri May 30 23:19:57 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>>> That's about all it should do - the actual graphics resolutions
>>> it will figure out for itself.  It's likely that you need to be
>>> able to provide it with a custom modeline - what sort of graphics
>>> chipset does it have?
>> It's done.  Here's a link that solved it for me in a hurry.  And
>> now my dorky old laptop is running Hardy without
>> help-I-need-glasses video!.
>>
>> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5081054#post5081054>
>
> Well!  <huff />  I don't know why I bother if people are just going
> to solve their own problems!  :-)

ROTFL!

> Which solution was it?  displayconfig-gtk?  I confess I've never
> heard of it.

"sudo displayconfig-gtk" did it. Just like that 14 year old kid said.
Why oh why isn't that on a menu? It was almost as easy as pie. :-) Nice
to be able to see things on my laptop again. In a couple of years I'll
have had it for 10 years. I shall ask Toshiba if they'd like it
[Satellite Pro 4600] for their museum. ;-)
NP: nothing