Error activating XKB configuration

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Fri May 30 19:52:50 UTC 2008

I am not sure what I did, but the last three restarts resulted in the
following error message:

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
10400090

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

The result of the commands above is:

xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "se-Johnny", "",
"lv3:ralt_switch"
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "se-Johnny", "",
"lv3:ralt_switch"

gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
 layouts = []
 model =
 options = [lv3 lv3:ralt_switch,altwin altwin:super_win]
 overrideSettings = true

Yes, I have my own configuration which worked perfectly with 7.10 and which
worked perfectly with 8.04 until a few hours ago. I don't really know what
to do next. The last thong I did before this happened was to include the
following line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:

options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack

This is to make my sound card work, and it actually works; I have sound now.
However, I can't see how this could be related to the error message I seem
to get every time I login now. I don't only get that message, my keyboard
configuration doesn't work either. I can't even type Swedish characters
anymore.

Anyone? Any help will be very appreciated.

Johnny Rosenberg