xrandr before logging in

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri May 30 10:28:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:38:59PM +0200, Kilian Rambach wrote:
> Hi there,
> I want to use xrandr to switch one of the two connected monitors off as
> soon as kdm has started, before someone logged in. (I couldn't manage it
>    with some options in xorg.conf)

I strongly suspect that it would be much easier to figure out how to do
it from xorg.conf.  Have you read the static setup section of
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html ?

> If I execute "xrandr -display :0.0" in a boot script, I always get:
> No protocol specified
> Can't open display :0.0

If you used gdm, you could edit /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default and add the
xrandr invocation there.  I've no idea what's the equivalent for kdm.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Suppose you went back to Ada Lovelace and asked her the difference between a
script and a program. She'd probably look at you funny, then say something