Problem with /tmp

bill purvis bill at billp.org
Wed May 28 20:29:34 UTC 2008

I've recently upgraded to Hardy, then had an update which replaced the
kernel, modules etc. What I didn't realise was that the upgrades leave
earlier kernels, modules etc around. As a result my / partition has got
rather full. This became obvious when gcc said that a temporary file
hit the 'no space on device' error. I have since cleared out the older
stuff, and there's a reasonable amount of space on /, but df reports
that /tmp is now mounted on 'overflow' whatever that is. This appears
to be a 1meg filesystem, presumably in ram. Gcc still reports no
space on device. Any way out, other than rebooting?

Bill