formatting protected USB memory sticks

Colin Rowat c.rowat at espero.org.uk
Thu May 29 23:12:40 UTC 2008

I was recently given a 1GB USB memory stick, formatted as drives E: and
F: for Windows.  One of the drives (/dev/sdb1, or /media/DISK_IMG) is
formatted as a fat16 blank disc.  The other is loaded with promotional
material that I would like to remove.  However, I cannot get gparted to
even recognise this partition (/media/Autorun).  It has also been
protected against reformatting by standard Windows XP administrative
tools.

Is there any way to completely clear the memory stick, creating a
single, 1GB partition?

Thank you in advance,

Colin Rowat