whice file system is better?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu May 29 21:27:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 00:44 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> That's fine, although I personlly believe it should at least provide a
> different partition for /home by default.

If you are interested, there was recently a discussion about this on the
ubuntu-devel-discuss list. In the end, the verdict was that the problems
a separate /home creates currently outweigh the advantages.

> You should be fine, although you'll lose all data if you decide to
> switch distro's, or if you want to reinstall for some reason. It really
> creates too many hassles for you if you don't have a seperate /home.

Note that this is not strictly true anymore. Since 8.04, Ubuntu will
retain your /home (even when it is on the same partition as /) when
reinstalling, at least when you use the manual partition settings (it
will still overwrite /home if you go with the defaults and let it take
over the whole disk). Details about this are also in the same discussion
of devel-discuss.