if-up.d

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 29 15:03:04 UTC 2008

Pol wrote:

> How do the /etc/network/if-up.d mechanims work?
> I have found that files on that directory are not read during the boot
> processes

They are...  So I'd look at two things: are they executable?  Do they
actually do what you think they do? Is the interface actually brought _up_
in the boot process.  Okay, I'd look at _three_ things...

Whenever an interface is brought up, via ifup (you can, I think, get around
it using "ifconfig IF up") the if-up.d scripts are run.  So, if what you
really want is to have wwwoffle offline _until_ an interface is brought up,
it should do that by default in /etc/init.d/wwwoffle (look at the various
places it sets "online" or "offline" - it may not always get set right for
your type of interface, as it was obviously not trivial to figure out when
it should start in either status).
--
derek