whice file system is better?

Francis Earl francis.earl at gmail.com
Thu May 29 07:41:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 13:42 +0800, alan Gold wrote:
> hello all
>
> I am newbie in Linux.I want to know which file system is better in
> Ubuntu,
> ext2,ext3,reiserfs or others? which system support the Compression
> just like ntfs in windows?
> Is there some documents on the web?

I would recommend you stick with the default ext3 really, it is a very
good general purpose filesystem.

I do not recommend touching reiserfs, the guy that wrote it is currently
unable to maintain it in any way shape or form - you can find out why by
googling 'hans reiser' but I think that is outside the scope of this
mailing list. Just do yourself a favor and don't touch reiserfs.

XFS is nice if you have a lot of large files, but otherwise it's really
not optimized for general desktop stuff.

JFS is another general purpose FS, but doesn't support a lot of the
features of ext3fs, and isn't as well supported.

Anything else, again, will suffer from support issues. So I would really
recommend you stick to ext3.