Web GUI for server administration

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed May 28 22:33:22 UTC 2008

On 28/05/08 10:49, Mike wrote:
> Onno Benschop wrote:
>
>> On 28/05/08 01:19, Chris Mohler wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Avi Greenbury
>>> <avismailinglistaccount at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I've been using webmin for years - I had no trouble installing on
>>> Hardy Server...
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>> webmin is evil and has been removed from both Debian and Ubuntu because
>> it does not handle configuration files in the same way that we do.
>>
>> ebox is at this time the ubuntu-sever preferred gui.
>>

> You might want to check out this post from 2 weeks ago at the
> Ubuntu forum concerning webmin vs ebox:

> According to the Ubuntu forum discussion from only a few weeks
> ago, most posters were leaning toward webmin. There's some
> concern that ebox doesn't save your config files in
> traditional places. Apparently ebox saves config files only in
> the ebox directory. At least that's what was reported in the
> Ubuntu forum.
>
> A new version of Webmin has been recently released (1.420)
> Their website states: "The new version of Webmin includes
> Ubuntu 8.04 fixes..."
>
> It might be worth checking out.

I'm a member of the Ubuntu Server team and I'll raise this issue at our
next weekly meeting (we just had our meeting 30 minutes ago).

If there are specific concerns that you wish to raise, can you please
email me with the concern and a reference and I'll endeavour to put
together a statement which I'll post here before I take it to the Ubuntu
Server team.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..